Every day we wake up, go to work, and engage in social activities with others, we are confronted with the reality that people around us are different. They have diverse agendas, some kindred and some adverse. Each person is created differently, grows up differently, develops different ideas and value systems. These value systems may be learned through experience, culture, family, or even compulsion. Yes, I mean compulsion. Your learning includes actions taken by the state to force you to do something or to constrain from doing something. Examples, are posted speed limits, paying taxes, and not gambling in a private home.
Each of us develops a frame of reference. We develop a set of criteria or values with which we process our own interpretations and judgements. We constantly face interaction with divergent personalities. There are both internal and external forces that affect our frame of reference. We develop habits about what we should do, or think we should do, based on our background of knowledge and experience. Our frame of reference is formed by the associations that we have. These may include our families, education, religious beliefs, military, labor unions, and media input. Our collective and experiential frame of reference is established early in life, most likely before we are 10 years old.
There are also external forces where we may be taught various opinions and attitudes in school, religions, political affiliations, friends, groups, or gangs.
What I am suggesting is that each day we have options that will help guide us both in personality and attitude. This is one of the strongest foundations of our existence.
Here are a few personality types that we are confronted with each day. Different personality types may accept and/or adapt to life and its challenges, either optimistically or pessimistically. Also, each of us may fall into more than one category at various times.
A) The Dynamo – Independent, hard charged, self-sufficient and confident. I know what I want out of life, and please do not become an obstacle. I will wake up each day, have my coffee, as I always do, and look forward to a new, successful day with dynamic challenges. I will press forward, and confront all barriers, as I always do. I will maintain a positive attitude. I absolutely know that based on what I have been taught and internalized in my short life, that my world defined me by family, health, language, borders, culture, individual accountability, and self-sufficiency. I fully intend to overcome all barriers. I suggest that you do not become one. I am an optimist, a risk taker, and a visionary. I will accept setbacks, but only temporarily. I will spring back to new heights, beyond all imagination. No rigged system laced with negativity, control, implied subordination, or metaphysical experiment shall modify my goals. What I have learned will be nurtured and sustained by my inner- strength.
B) The Couch Potato – Waiting to be led. I will wake up and have my coffee. My priority is to turn on the television news to determine what is going on today in the world around me. I will watch, Fox, MSNBC, CNN, NBC, and ABC. I will be enlightened by people much smarter than I. Smart people in the media are there to inform me about what is important and what I should focus on. Their delivery of pertinent information will serve to enlighten me about what is in my best interest. I will quickly learn about all the stuff that I should be aware of, to reinforce my belief system. I just may get upset if the news presented is contrary to my belief system. Getting upset, makes me a participant! I can discuss these issues with my friends, who naturally are of kindred minds. We can reinforce each other. Be damned with those who are not smart enough accept all the components of my beliefs and opinions.
Maybe I will refuse to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.
C) The Worry Wart – I could get more done if I did not have all these things to worry about. I worry about things in my control, and things that I cannot control.
Remember, Eeyore the little gray donkey in “Winnie The Pooh”? “Good morning, Pooh Bear, if it is a good morning, which I doubt, why does it matter?” We can focus on creating worry and consternation. We can organize our days with feelings of fear, anxiety, dismay, and panic. Here are just a few thoughts to add to the external basket of worry.
- The massive volcano in the Yellowstone National Park has the potential to blow up and alter the geography of the entire United States. This could have enormous implications for mankind, if any are left.
- Global warming, or climate change will decimate the way that we desire to live.
- International predators, such as Iran, Venezuela, Russia, and China are going to take advantage of us, or attempt to eliminate us. There are bogeymen everywhere. There may even be bogeywomen, if you inject a little politics.
- The USA could be nuked by the chubby 30 -year-old, crazy leader of North Korea, Kim Jong-Un! His family dynasty has always specialized in intimidation and extortion. They have always rattled the international community until they are paid to shut up. It has never worked. Like any other welfare recipient, they just keep wanting more. Just like dependency, there is no stopping, unless there are too many strings attached to the free stuff delivered.
- There could be a massive electromagnetic pulse (EMP) created by exploding a thermonuclear hydrogen bomb about 5 miles above the earth’s surface. That may eliminate my internet connection, cell phone access, automobile electronics, and electrical outlets availability. Or even worse, a nuclear EMP creating even more wide spread damage.
- In the event of an emergency, the grocery stores may be bare before I get there. The lines for emergency groceries and gas stations may be prohibitive. Where will I be able to get beer?
- Will I be able to get my kids out of school and consolidate my family for safety?
- What will I do if my parasitic friends and relatives show up at my house because they did not develop a plan. They will, of course, rely on stupid excuses. Sorry, no beer here. Maybe I can spare a couple cans of tuna, some toilet paper and paper towels, but that’s it. Don’t you love suckers who never plan? Certain things never change.
- We may not have access to electricity at the gas station, grocery store, municipal water storage tanks and sewer pumping stations. What will happen to my refrigerator full of beer, or the beer pump at my favorite Pub? In-And-Out Burger could be without electricity and natural gas to grill those tasty burgers. All products, goods, and services that originate with the help of electricity would cease. Few companies or private parties have back-up electrical generators.
- Will I have enough gas in my car if there are no operating gas stations? Do I have a couple of extra 5-gallon gas cans for emergencies?
- If there is no electricity, how can I get access to my money in the bank? What if they declare a bank holiday and refuse to give me my money? The bank employees may elect to go home to take care of their own families instead.
- My natural gas outlets for the stove, BBQ, and fireplace will not work because there will not be a pump between the municipal gas storage tanks and our on-site units, which requires electricity.
- The opposing political party, the one that I despise the most, just may overtake our government, and move the political and socioeconomic direction of the country against me.
- Someone is always thinking about how to raise my taxes, reduce my liberties, and confiscate my property.
- How will I provide for my family and my legacy, as long there are so many predatory forces in the world?
- Who will protect me from all my adversaries? Colleges are now teaching at high school levels of 40 years ago. Histories are being rewritten to sway the public’s belief systems into socialist beliefs. They are having great success! The illusion of getting more free stuff always sways the voter to vote in more benefits.
D) The Chronic Complainer – The Whiner.
I absolutely know that the world is cruel. It seems that only the wicked and dishonest get ahead. I seem to always be wallowing in the cruel part. I just cannot understand how everything seems so unfair.
They enjoy bonding over mutual hatreds and petty grievances. They are best at criticizing and condemning. They seem to use every opportunity to turn conversations into something negative. Nothing is ever good or even acceptable. Something is always wrong. However, they never suggest a concrete, rational answer, or improvement. They attempt to draw from some reasoning or logical foundation to justify their beliefs. They rationalize.
E) Jealousy & Envy – Feeling discontent and ill will because of another’s advantages.
They are resentful and usually develop a dislike for another who has something they desire. Jealousy is similar but the degree of emotion is greater, including hostility. They have thoughts or feelings of suspicion, insecurity, fear, concern, anger, and resentment.
The problem with having this person in your life, is that their feelings toward you are rarely expressed. They may be around you as a friend or acquaintance, and appear supportive. But, they hate every success that you have.
They derive pleasure by someone else’s misfortune. They live in a comforting sense of schadenfreude. Jealousy & and Envy are a cancer. If given a chance it will spread to encompass the entire relationship.
F) The Geek – An eccentric, non-mainstream person who may be an expert or enthusiast or obsessed with a hobby, or an intellectual pursuit.
This person may be considered peculiar, overtly intellectual, unfashionable, or socially awkward. “What, are you still here? Just leave me alone. I am not interested”. The Geek has very little interest in participating in anything other than their own interests and agenda. When they wake up they always know that the day will be about them and what they want. They have many on-line friends, and that keeps them happy and engaged. Other than that, they want to be left alone. Do not attempt to engage them in your conversation, or direct them toward some subject of which they have little or no interest. They are comfortable in themselves, and their internalized subjects only. Everything else is irrelevant.
You and I know individuals that fit into each of above 6 personality types. We may very well fit into one or more of them ourselves. Let me propose a few simple questions:
1) Which one do you want to go to dinner, have a drink and socialize with for the evening?
2) Which one do you want to engage in a back and forth heated debate about who is the best president, best leader, or the best direction for the country?
3) Which one do you want to invite into your mentor group who will serve as your support person, and develop a complete understanding about you, what you are about, with the full knowledge that the purpose is to be your guide in accomplishing your goals?
4) Which one will listen attentively, and focus on you as you lay out your strategy and agenda in your pursuit of success?
5) Which one will give the strongest and most direct, constructive feedback, to help you accomplish your goals.
6) For questions 3, 4, and 5, if you are invited to become their mentor and their support person, which of the above personalities do you prefer?
7) Which of the above personalities do you want your son or daughter to bring home and introduce to you, and to express that they are engaged in a serious relationship?
8) Lastly, of all your close friends, which category do each of them fit into. Now, do the same exercise for yourself. Which personality do you possess? Even though each of us may have a dominant trait within the categories above, there will occasionally be some spillover characteristics into other personality types.
Business and Private Money Finance Consultant
Bus. 949 521 7115
Cell 949 533 8315
This article is intended for educational purposes only and is not a solicitation.